What will Brexit mean for UK drivers, driving abroad

Brexit Driving Abroad - What it will Brexit mean for UK drivers
UK map - brexit driving abroad

As of January 1st 2021, UK residents will be asked to understand new legislation which will change our ways of driving abroad after Brexit and what it will mean when travelling.

Whilst Brexit may have gone a little un-noticed following the COVID outbreak, Brexit is still happening and so we need to begin preparing ourselves, especially for planning trips abroad over the coming years.

Preparation for Brexit Driving Abroad

  1. Passports – As of January 1st 2021, burgundy passports will still be valid, but you will need a valid 15 month’s before expiry date so that you can to use it. To find out if your passport will be valid, please use the government’s passport checker – https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe-1-january-2021
  2. Brexit Driving Abroad – All UK drivers will need an International Driving Permit even if driving in the EU. Known as an IDP, the document allows UK residence to drive in countries where the UK driving license is not adequate proof. It can be ordered from the Post Office at a starting cost of £5.50. Find out more at: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit
  3. Living Abroad – If you already live abroad but hold a UK driving license, then you will need to apply for a local driving license before the 31st December 2020.
  4. Applying for a Green Card – Available through your insurer, holding a Green Card demonstrates that the driver is fully insured and compliant as a UK driver. Green Cards can take some time to process, so it is worth making an early application.
  5. Updating Number Plates If your vehicle has a EU number plate which displays the EU flag, then you might also need to display a GB sticker. Alternatively, you can contact Stourbridge Automotive with regards to having your number plates updated to the GB plate.

Here at Stourbridge Automotive we can vehicle service Audi, BMW, MINI, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover & Range Rover, to make sure that they are safe before embarking on any long journey’s, road trips and or holidays.  If you are planning a driving abroad trip for 2021 (hopefully!!) or wishing to update your number plates to the GB sign plate, then please contact our service and maintenance team to find out more about Brexit Driving Abroad.