How we approach driving safely is now more than just about speed and awareness. With the recent announcement from the UK government that UK residents are allowed to travel further afield for holidays, people across the UK are beginning to a plan mini breaks and holidays to make the most of the summer months ahead.
Whether you are planning a holiday here in the UK or thinking of driving further into Europe, this month at Stourbridge Automotive, we thought that you might like to hear our thoughts on driving safely and how best to travel.
Before embarking on a long journey, please carry out the necessary checks on your vehicle to ensure that it is safe for driving on a long distance. Don’t forget, that your car may need a vehicle service if it hasn’t been checked for a while and also check that the MOT certificate is valid within date.
- Tyre pressures
- Top up oil
- Screen-wash levels
- Clutch and brake checks
- Battery check
- Photocard driving license – On Martin Lewis’s Money Saving Expert website article – Is your driving licence valid? he recently reported that over 2 million UK drivers have an out-of-date driving license. Please check that your photocard license is valid and that the expiry date is well within your holiday return date.
- MOT Test – Check your last MOT test certificate or use this link on the .gov.uk website https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history to review when your last test was carried out and if need be book your next. Don’t forget that if you had a MOT Test due during lockdown 30th March – 31st July, it is now due following the extension.
- Breakdown Cover – Before embarking on a long journey, take breakdown contact numbers or install the providers app on your phone so that you are fully prepared and have a point of contact, should your vehicle breakdown.
What to pack
- The hot weather can be unpredictable throughout the summer months with extremely hot day so ensure that you have plenty of water and fluids on board.
- Pack food and snacks to keep up energy levels up.
Service stations across the UK are open for business, which is great news for drivers, but with so many people from across the country utilising their services, it is worth preparing and taking the following on your journey.
- Hand sanitiser
- Face Masks
Above all, don’t forget! Wash you hands when you arrive at your destination and stay safe!
For more information with regards to how Stourbridge Automotive can help to service and maintain your Audi, BMW, MINI, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover & Range Rover Vehicle, please contact us or see our website for more details.