During the period between 30th March 2020 and the 30th September 2020 the UK government granted an MOT Test extension to all vehicles throughout that period, of a MOT Test, for up to 6 months after their MOT Test certificate due date, because of the COVID pandemic outbreak and the need to immediately isolate.
What to do if you used the 2020 MOT Test Extension
Stourbridge Automotive has seen the odd case over the last 12 months whereby a customer has not realised the above, their MOT Test Certificate has expired and they have been surprised that the six-month exemption has long passed.
We all urge all customers to check when your MOT Test is due and especially if you took the advantage of the MOT Test extension.
You can check when your MOT Test is due by entering your vehicles registration, make and model into the government MOT check website at: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status
Things to know about a MOT Test
- If an MOT Test Certificate has expired, then legally the insurance on the vehicle becomes invalid.
- You can book a MOT Test up to 30 days before the current MOT Test certificate expires.
- After the certificate expiry date, your MOT will become invalid, and it is illegal to drive the vehicle; there is no grace period.
- A vehicle that has an expired MOT Test Certificate can, however, be driven directly to a MOT Test Station such as Stourbridge Automotive, as long as it has a pre-booked appointment.
- If the vehicle fails the MOT, it is illegal to drive the vehicle on the road until it is fixed and re-tested with a PASS. There is a 10-working day window in which the vehicle is to be fixed and presented again for a MOT test certificate.
Here at Stourbridge Automotive, we are always very conscious to make customers aware of the changing circumstances with MOT Testing and the possible consequences of not following them. We also offer a free text message service for customers, to remind them, as to when their test is due.
Please contact us if you have any queries, or are unsure of any of the changes relating to the 2020 MOT Test extension. You can find out more about MOT Tests by visiting our MOT Testing website page or to book a MOT Test for your Audi, BMW, MINI, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover or Range Rover, please contact us.